Tuesday 22 October 2013

Mild and tasty

The weather is always a topic of conversation amongst gardeners. The summer was very warm and quite dry when it eventually got going. The beginning of the autumn has turned out very mild and rather wet and windy. I had to wait for a dryish slot with the wind blowing away from nearby houses to have a couple of bonfires. I pruned back the trees and bushes that I planted around the edge of the plot and I wanted to burn the branches. I set the fires in an incinerator borrowed from my neighbour and it worked very well. All that was left was wood ash which today I spread, just as a heavy rain shower started which was ideal.

The warm, wet weather has helped the remaining veg to grow. The leeks were looking a bit small but they are swelling nicely now and will be ready to take now. The remaining carrots are great too, I pulled a few and they are lovely. The purple broccoli has recovered from the caterpillars. It will be a few months before it's ready yet, but I look forward to it. I need to keep it covered to keep the birds off.

The parsnips that have self sown are looking strong. There are many more than I thought, and loads more than I will keep. I pulled one out to see what the root is like and it is already more than 15cm long.

No comments: