Sunday, 13 January 2013

Wiring the compost bins

Our furry veg-stealers (aka rabbits) have still been burrowing under our compost bins, near the hedge. We dug out the oldest bin deeper than usual, put a piece of wire fencing cut to size across the bottom of the bin and covered it with a layer of soil up to the normal level, putting the extra compost on the plot to do some good. We then turned the other bin into the newly wired bin and found a large hole under the rotting stalks and leek tops but it looked disused. We dug that bin out, filling in the hole, lined its base with wire mesh and covered that with some soil too. That is now ready to receive any fresh cuttings and trimmings, though there won't be much just yet.

I feel as though we may be making progress. There were no fresh dropping that I could see and none of their incursions made it past our fence and onto the plot, so nothing valuable, like the last of our leeks or our slowly growing broccoli, was eaten. I can get on with a plan for this year's planting now.

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Still filled

The rabbit hole I filled in is still filled in. There may be another hole deep in the bottom of the only part of the hedge that is thick and prickly. I have shoved a thick off-cut of fence post into the hole to see what moves. If that is active then a lot of digging will be needed to get at the main hole and continue to discourage the rabbits from our site and our vegetables.

I'm starting to think about the plot plan now too.

Sunday, 6 January 2013

Changes, roof and old foes

The new year brings a sense of anticipation to allotment holders. Our first seed catalogue has arrived and we have discussed a set of changes to our plans, mostly growing more variety and less stuff easily bought like onions.

The rent for the plot has gone up so this year I expect the council to do their job in engaging pest controllers if they are needed. I will not stand by and lose most of our produce without a fight.

I have heard that Rob on the next plot has given up his two plots. I'm a bit surprised, but everything comes to an end eventually. The pests, weather damage, rent increases and other commitments have driven him away.

Today we replaced the felt on the shed roof. It was easier than I thought, went very well and looks good. It was not a moment too soon as a damp patch has appeared in the corner of the shed.

The rabbits are back. They have dug a hole in our compost bin. I'm going to encourage them move out over the next few days.

Edit: I returned to the plot to start the blitz on the rabbits. Their hole was deep and steeply sloping down, but now it is filled in. I expect they will dig it out, but I will fill it in again with rubble, gravel or anything else I can find. Eventually I hope they take the hint to move on.